How to install a Mobilane instant hedge (Green Screen) in your garden?
Is installing instant hedging by yourself is difficult? No! Actually it is fairly simple. On this page we explain step by step how you should proceed and what you should take into account. Are you ready?
How to proceed while installing instant hedging
All the Mobilane instant hedging have a standard width of 120 centimetres. In order to install the instant hedging, you need to check if you have the right soil in your garden. After this, you need to ensure that all the obstacles in the soil have been removed. After that, you can start planting! In the end, we will tell you how you need to maintain the instant hedging.
1. Do I have the right soil in my garden for instant hedging?
All the Mobilane instant hedging need to be planted in a humus rich soil that is suitable for planting shrubs. If the soil is not rich in humus, you need to add a good quality compost. The trench, in which the instant hedging needs to be placed, needs to be at least 40 centimetres deep. In the trench, the drainage of the soil needs to be good (otherwise the roots may rot) and the soil has to be water permeable.
2. Are there any obstacles in the soil?
It is important that there are no pipelines, construction or foundations in the soil where you want to plant the instant hedging. You can check this by your local utilities and telecom companies in your area.
If there are obstacles in the soil and / or the roots of your instant hedging are growing in a space that is too small, damage can occur. If the instant hedging have been placed in a paved area, please check the water level of the hedges regularly. The hedges need enough (rain) water.
3. Time to install the Mobilane instant hedging!
Do you have the right type of soil in your garden and are all the obstacles gone? Then it is time to install the instant hedging! Follow the steps below of the installation manual and enjoy your freshly planted instant hedging.
- If you would like to achieve a level, straight fence, you have to place a wire from the starting point to the corner – or end – point of the screen. If you have a laser instrument, you can use this instead of a wire.
- Mark the location of the posts and place them at a distance of 130 - 132 centimetres apart (centre to centre posts). Depending on the subsoil and wind load, the posts are grounded in a concrete foundation. This foundation must be at least 30 x 30 x 60 cm (see example 1 below). NOTE: The top of the foundation must, because of the placement of the root system, be between 25 - 30 cm below ground level (see example 2 below).
- Place the posts so that the top side of the post is at the same height with the screen. NOTE: must be placed vertically aligned!
- Dig a trench 40 cm wide and 40 cm deep. This is big enough to make the planter fit in the soil.
- Loosen the soil at the bottom of the trench, and water the trench before planting your instant hedging.
- Fill the trench with compost and / or fertilized garden soil so that it shows a depth of approximately 20 cm. Press this earth slightly so the screen can rest on it. If the soil in your garden is already good you can forget step 4-5 and 6 and make a trench from 20 cm. for planting the hedge.
- Place the Mobilane instant hedging in the trench, and make sure that the top of the biodegradable cocopot is kept at ground level. There should not be any coconut fibers visible.
- Screw the brackets on the posts and place the screen into the cut-outs in the brackets. The screens of 180 cm should be 25 cm below the upper edge (on the second highest horizontal wire), and in the middle, attached to both sides with the brackets.
- Assemble the bracket so that the upper bracket is pushed from below the grid, and the lower bracket from the top part of grid. This way the screen is well secured in both directions. Make sure no shoots or stems from the screens plant are caught or restricted by frame or brackets.
- Fill the rest of the trench around the coco pot (root system) using the soil from the trench, mixed with compost and garden soil.
- Press the soil firmly around the coco pot with compost or potting soil so that the screen makes contact with the soil.
- Water regularly after installation.
Example 1: planting Mobilane Green Screen 120 x 180 cm with steel posts and brackets.
Example 2: Placing steel posts with concrete foundation
4. How to maintain a Mobilane instant hedging?
To enjoy your instant hedging to the fullest, it is important to take good care of them. Please read the page ‘Maintenance: Mobilane Green Screens’ page.